Thursday, April 23, 2009

Not the usual Morning - Part 3

“Hello! Meeta, it’s me, Adi. Meeta, can you hear me.”
“I am sorry but this is Rosy. I am Meeta’s housemate. Meeta has gone to office and has unfortunately left her mobile at home. “
That was the only thing left. God, will you now please help me.
“Ohk, Rosy, and Can you please tell me where her office is and how to reach there. And also her office number if possible. And Rosy, can you please do me a favour.”
“Yeah sure”
“If I am not able to contact her, can you please tell me Meeta to meet me tonight at 7 PM at the beach. Tell her, its Adi from India, I will be waiting for her. Now please tell her office address.”

What she told me next was extremely confusing for an outsider to remember everything and also recollect at every point. Never the less, I refused to give up. It took me four hours, two train changes, three bus changes and finally a taxi ride to reach her office. It’s been three years since I last saw her. I have been more or less the same guy. Hopefully she will recognize me.

As I reached the third floor, the heart was beating like never before, I have never been so anxious ever before in my life. Took the left turn to her cabin, I saw her, she was smiling. All that I ever cared for in my life was a sweet simple smile on her face. And it was there. Holding hands in hands, she was sipping coffee, one sip after another. Enjoying every moment as it was passing, whispering in his ears and playing around.

I tried but I could not. Something stopped me. I went around her cabin almost unnoticed. As quietly I had gone inside her office, I came out as well. Not knowing what to do I headed straight to the beach. There was hope, she would come.

The sun was setting, the clock was ticking 7. And she came.

“Hi Adi, I cannot believe that I am seeing you, how are you, and where have you been all these years.”
“Hi Meeta, I came to see you, to tell you something which I had always wanted to. All I want Meeta is for you listen me. I have come all the way from India for this very moment. If not today, then I will never be able to do it ever in my life.”

“As long as I remember about the four years that we spent together, you have been my closest friend, my best friend. There has been none in my life for whom I have cared so much. All that matters to me Meeta is a smile on your face. And trust me; I can do everything under the sun to ensure that you smile and that you are always happy. If I close my eyes and think of my past, I see you. And if I close my eyes and think of my future, I think of you and only you. As I was coming here, I had no clue how will you react to all this and what will you say. But I always wanted to tell you this. What I will do now is say my last words and then close my eyes. I will keep them closed for the next five minutes. If you feel for anything that I just said, I expect to see you after the five minutes when I open my eyes.

“I love you” and I closed my eyes. I stood there for the next five minutes and counted every second as those last few moments were passing by. Right in front of me, I could hear the waves crashing against the shore. Somewhere in the near distance, cars and bikes were roaring across the road and I could hear murmurs of some people walking and some jogging behind me. I could hear my heart beats, each one loud, clear and distinct. My heart was beating fast, even faster than a jet zipping into the sky.

Yet it was so calm for me, as if the world had come to a standstill, as if the clock had stopped ticking. I was waiting anxiously for a movement towards me but there was none. Hundred of things and thousand of emotions were going on in my mind. I was apprehensive, nervous but happy still. I knew I would open my eyes to a different world.

My mobile broke the silence as it started beeping. The alarm that I had set indicated to me that it was five minutes over. This was the moment that I was waiting for and when it finally came, I did not want to open my eyes. Something was stopping me from taking the next step. I did not know what stood in front of me. However, I could prolong it no longer, and slowly I let it happen.

I opened my eyes.

She was not there………………………………………..

I turned towards the beach.
The sun was just about setting into the sea.

1 comment:

  1. Mashallah!
    Way things move in your blog and put forward is highly appreciable.
    Keep them rolling.

    - Cheena

    ReplyDelete